9.3x57
(.450 member)
02/01/08 02:35 PM
Re: Remington to Acquire Marlin Firearms...

It isn't Remington quality that scares me, it is their manufacturing processes and emphasis on fabrication, stampings, etc that leave me cold. I just don't like the style of Remington guns. Fine on a bolt gun I guess {though it isn't my cup of tea there either} but if they try to "modernize" the Marlin line along those lines I think they will kill it.

Very few guns in the Marlin line are direct competitors with Remington products, so maybe Remington will leave them alone. Actually, I'd love to see a few specialty Marlins, like a factory .38-55 on the 336 {that is, 1895 .45-70} action and the purging of Micro-Groove rifling. Also, some "custom shop" type Marlins would be interesting, guns with fine finishes, for example.

Or dare I ask for it, but a resurrection of the Sporting Carbines, one in .35 Remington and one in .38-55 with real rifling, please????? THAT's too much to ask...

Realistically, as much as it pains me to say it, the country is awash in Marlins {used gun market} and I suspect the traditional Marlin line might be seeing a declining market, what with the modern emphasis on bolt guns with synthetic stocks, etc being the thing for new shooters/hunters. I'm betting the average new hunter doesn't want anything to do with douty "old fashioned" leverguns.

Maybe it is the end of another era. Heck, seen a brand new Colt Official Police lately? Nope, they are gone and maybe so will the plain-jane Marlin .30-30 soon also.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com