DarylS
(.700 member)
18/12/07 03:14 AM
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex "

Peter, does the same reasonaing go for the .375H&H and the 9.3x62 - or the English Nitro rounds?
; That being the case, the 9.3x62 should be reduced to a 286gr., at 2,175fps (same as current 9.3x57) and the H&H reduced to 2,400fps for 300gr. and 2,600fps for 270gr,(.375 ballistics are slightly reduced from what a 9.3x62 will do with handloads today) This means the 9.3 wouldn't be able to shoot heavier bullets, which seemed fine with Taylor as he very much appreciated the 9.3 and .375 using their early ballistics. He did state that when the 9.3 was increased to 2,360fps, it wasn't needed.
: Seems strange there is such negetivism expressed against a properly loaded, modernized round that seems to work well on heavy game.
: To Peter, there would be no big bore Nitro Express rounds had there not been black powder express rounds to "Hotrod". That is all they are.
; A modernized .43 Mauser in a modern Mauser bolt gun would duplicate the .450/400 I'd expect and maybe exceed it by a margin of 150fps. It would be a great bear/moose/elk load and satisfy for most all hunting in Africa to boot. Seems it would duplicate the .425 Nitro. Even looks like it, albeit smaller in diameter.
; I think what upsets many English Ctg. fanatics, is that the lowly .45/70, which was first chambered in 1872 & incorporated as THE US Military ctg. in 1873, can be up-scaled just as the English black powder rounds were, and in solid actioned guns, can come very close to duplicating the larger cased English ctgs. Afterall, the .45/70 can be loaded in a bolt gun or Ruger SS to 2,200fps with 400gr. bullets, without even breaking 55,000psi. With today's bullets, real-penetration and expansion can be achieved which borders on and even defeats what solids and soft points did and do well from their larger, lower pressure rounds (in the same calibre, of course).
; Yes, I agree - it is an emotional debate and it will take 10's of hunters killed using it on dangerous game which will still not prove anything. How many 10's of hunters were killed when using the big English guns?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com