9.3x57
(.450 member)
18/12/07 12:12 AM
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex "

Quote:

Unfortunately it seems that this debate will not end until one of these articles on the suitability of the 45-70 ends with an obituary.

Probably true enough, though whether the caliber/performance will be the cause of it will be argued over, too until enough of these heavy .45-70 loads get faced with big buff, which I doubt will happen soon.

Put another way, I'd like to see a Marrakai-style cull on big Australian or Cape buff using the types of loads cited by Hoppdoc and Fadala, with appropriate bullet-digging and thus leading to conclusions based on documented performance. I don't see that happening since I think such heavy .45-70 loads are relative rarities in Australia and Africa.

While I cannot see why anybody would choose to go with the .45-70 over some other more-commonly used cartridge for heavy African game {unless they just feel like it, which is good enough reason to me}, Daryl's load {and others} are more powerful than other commonly used buff calibers {9.3x74R, 9.3x62, .375 H&H Mag, etc} and if such hotrodded .45-70 "stunt loads" are to be condemned so should such cartridges as the mediums cited above.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com