EricD
(.416 member)
13/12/07 09:40 PM
Re: Assault weapons

Quote:

In the 1990's there was a survey which found there is 3.4 firearms in every home in Montana...which is why our crime rate is as low as it is--thieves, rapists, burglers, etc..know being a bad guy can have very negative consequences to their health..

There was a study published in the «Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy» a while ago that showed there is no connection between a high number of guns and a high number of murders in society. In fact the study showed that a high number of guns actually decreases the likelihood of murders in a neighborhood.

So all the BS the anti-gunners spew out is pure propaganda without any scientific reality.

In countries such as Russia, the number of murders is about 4 times what is found in the US. Even though Russia has only 4000 guns per 100.000 citizens!

According to the study, 5,6 murders are committed per 100.000 citizens in the US (nationwide).

I Norway, 0,81 murders are committed per 100.000, despite have 36000 gun owners per 100.000 (36%).

In Denmark, there is 1.21 murders per 100.000, and 19% of the 100.000 are gun owners. In Sweden: 1.87 murders, and 24% gun owners.

Which is interesting, as Norway, Sweden and Denmark have basically the same culture, yet Norway has the least murders despite the highest number of guns per person.

In an extreme end, Luxembourg has 9.01 murders with virtually NO gun owners! And then there is Russia, with only 4% gun owners, yet 20.54 murders per 100.000!

The study showed that the 9 European countries with fewest guns have less then 5% gun owners, yet 3 times as many murder as the 9 countries that allow guns to be owned and where over 15% of the population are gun owners.

The study mentions that on average, gun owners in the US have a higher education, "better" jobs, and are more critical to violence than those who do not own guns!

The study also mentions that 90-95% of the violent criminals in the US have a long, serious crime records, and often a record of mental instability. Thus, they can't buy guns legally anyway and banning general gun ownership wouldn't have any impact on the crimes they commit.

I don't have a link to the study itself (just saved some of it on my hard drive), but I am sure it can easily be found by searching a bit on the internet.

Erik

Contact Us NitroExpress.com