JohnTheGreek
(.300 member)
29/07/07 06:57 PM
Re: rifle battery

Maybe I am too practical but I think this list offers the most bang for the buck. Even given the recently high Winchester prices, one could probably get totally set up with scopes, a boatload of ammo and everything below for well under $10K.

.22 LR...Kimber Classic
One can buy 5000 rounds for around $100...tough to argue with that.

.308 Win...Kimber Classic
Cheap to shoot with universally available 147 grain mil. surp. ammo. One can use 110 grain bullets for varmints or 200 grainers for bigger stuff.

.416 Rem...Win Model 70
Just make brass from .375H&H if you have to. Use 400 grain solids for the big stuff and cheap 350 grain hard cast bullets for larger plains game.

12 guage...Rem 870
This gun is durable, offers ubiquitous spare parts and cheap ammo for birds. Use slugs in the thick stuff for deer sized game. Cut it off at the end of the mag tube for a defensive weapon.

8 bore...front stuffer
For use when the .416 feels small. Use on the largest African game, cast your own bullets or round balls and make your own black powder in a pinch. Keep a minimum stash of 1000 musket caps.

The only weapon I would add to this list for any "practical" reason would be a 9mm Browning hi-power.

Best,

John

Contact Us NitroExpress.com