chucknelson
(.224 member)
14/04/07 05:46 AM
Re: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE BOLT FOR NON-DG??

Mine is fairly ho-hum and plain. It's makeup spawned from some rifles put togethor over the last few years. Each rifle after comissioned and completed had a few things I didn't like. Most of these rifles soaked a lot of cash and time and what was supposed to be a pleasent and wonderous experience often times turned stressful.

I happened upon a fairly scarce LH stainless model 70 (used) chambered for the 30-06 and brought it home. The action as is functioned without a hitch, and with it's issued wood stock and scope the rifle shot very well and I most pleasently discovered that the factory barrel absolutely did not foul. bonus. So after discussing a few options with a friend, I had a local gunsmith turn the barrel to Winchester's factory issued featherweight contour and cut and crown at 22" for $100. If it continued to shoot well superb, if not then a new barrel would be ordered. It still shoots! To keep weight in check, I ordered a McMillan compact stock built in EDGE technology. I replaced the bottom metal with a unit from Williams, and also had Williams send a replacement machined extractor. To top it off, I put a Leupold FX II 6X36 scope in lapped Leupold DD rings and with that setup only needed an inch of adjustment to get the scope properly zeroed.

Finished, the rifle weighs 7lbs 3.1oz's and balances and points like a rifle should. I've decided on the 168gr Barnes TSX at 2875fps as the bullet to use for anything I'll hunt with the rifle. The blueprint produced more than what was hoped for.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com