4seventy
(Sponsor)
26/01/04 10:45 AM
Re: More experts on this board now

Gryph,
I don't have any experience with the 358 Norma Mag but I do have experience with some other 35 cals.
Some of the projectiles you mention do work well in cartridges which produce much less velocity than the 358 Norma and therefore I would doubt they would hold together too well in the Norma.
I would not want to use those little 180 Speers in the 358 Norma on anything much bigger than rabbits and certainly not deer mate.
Woodleighs are the best bullet on the planet IMO so long as they are used at the velocities they were designed for.
The Woodleigh 250 35 cal works very well at 350 Rigby and 35 Whelen and 358 Win velocities but I would think the big Norma would push them too fast.
Same thing goes for the 250 Hornady which works real well at around 23-2400 fps but you would not want to push it much more.

To get the most from the big magnums you MUST use a projectile which can handle the high velocity they produce.
I have had good results with Barnes X in high vel rifles but they sometimes cause fouling which can be a bit hard to remove.
The coated X's may prevent fouling, I don't know as I haven't used any.
Also some rifles don't shoot the X's all that well.
The X bullet does hold together well in the fast cals though.
Nosler partitions would be worth a try.
Thing is that you cannot "economise" with a magnum by using anything less than premium bullets.
High velocity comes at a price and you most likely have also found this out with your 308 Norma mag if you are running it at full steam.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com