jpb
(.224 member)
26/01/04 06:36 AM
Re: More experts on this board now

Well, even though *I* like deep penetration (and preferably an exit hole), some don't. So, I guess the over-expansion may depend on your perspective. Also, there are a LOT more .35 Whelan's than Norma Magnums, so Woodleigh has to make bullets for the biggest section of the market.

It is really only in the fast .358 Norma that these bullets expand so much. In the .35 Whelen they are just about ideal. However, I like a bit more velocity in case I have to take a slightly longer shot, and that extra velocity sure reduces penetration unless your bullet limits expansion. Some of the guys I hunt with do NOT want to see an exit wound, so they are very happy with these Woodleigh's in their Norma magnums.

I wish to emphasize that the Woodleigh's don't come apart! However, the recovered ones I saw were expanded all the way to the base and had the remaining sectional density of a pizza!

Still, I like high velocity, semi-pointed bullets, and good expansion within limits so I'm now using Rhino Bonded Bullets.

Here in Sweden, the Rhino's cost about the same as the Woodleighs -- both too damn much!

jpb

Contact Us NitroExpress.com