pinotguy
(.275 member)
21/03/07 09:44 AM
Re: Ruger Hawkeye African 9,3X62

And then there is the typical lack of knowledge by a lot of American shooters concerning metric cartridges. When I take my 9.3x62 to a public range and someone asks about the cartridge, when I tell them it's a 9.3x62 I invariably get the "A nine point three WHAT??" reply usually accompanied by a blank stare. I then tell them it's very similar to the .35 Whelen but that it uses a .366 caliber bullet. Guess what? Most don't know what a .35 Whelen is either.

-Bob F.

Bob,

Well stated - I couldn't agree more. I currently attend a gunsmithing school and I'd estimate that a majority of the students would not recognize any of the 9.3mm family. Each student is required to submit a final project (or projects - depends on remaining time available and $$$) and I was dead-set on building a rifle in 7x66 Vom Hofe (Super Express) or 8x68S. I finally settled on the 8x68S and it's amazing - every time I discuss the project with other students I get basically the same reaction you do. FWIW, the first rifle I built here is chambered in 35 Whelen and, like you, I've met a number of people who don't know of it. These days, it seems like if it isn't a WSM, WSSM, RUM, or a big, belted magnum, people just aren't interested.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com