DarylS
(.700 member)
07/01/07 06:45 AM
Re: 9.3x62 Mauser

Zaitsev - a Ugoslav hunter, 2 years ago just a bit West of here, dropped a large grizzly at 25 paces using a single Sako 9.3x62 factory load. As with many factory loads, this one was loaded to the typical low velocity with it's 286gr. Norma plastic-tippd bullet. From the hunter's 22" barrel Mann. it probably was well below 2,300fps. It din't matter to that 8 foot bear. Bang - splat - lights out.
: John Taylor's praise for the round was for it's then factory loadings of around 2,180fps with the 286g. bullet.
: I've been led to understand that the 270gr.Speer was originally made for the Salvian countries and should be available there. In my own 9.3x62, I managed just over 2,600fps with moderately high pressure using BLC2 powder. Although I never got around to using it for hunting, I did a lot of work developing it's loads.
: I've always been fond of the medium bores due to their ease of shooting accurately. Bullet placement is paramount and the 9.3x62 is fully capable of getting the job done, with about any bullet designed for it. In a good bore, I'd be inclined to test thoroughly, the Barnes "X" bullets now available. I've found Tripleshocks and the blue coated XLC's to be incredibly accurate in all calibres tested so far. Be sure to start testing them .040" to .050" off the lands befoe seating closer.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com