ThomasEdwards
(.300 member)
04/01/04 12:25 PM
Re: is the 9,3x74R dead?

robie,

...i posted the below attached message on another chat board that may somewhat answer your question on whether to select a double in 9.3x74r or .375 flanged...

...as you may note, the norma ballistics charts show that the 9.3 may be superior to both the .375 flanged and the .375hh rounds in factory loadings at distances beyond 100 yards...

...of course those with extensive hunting experience may provide further insight on the actual field results of the various cartridges...

te

PREVIOUS POST

...if you go to www.norma.cc you will find a graphical ballistics chart that visually plots the trajectory, v and me of various cartridges that norma manufactures...

...for comparison purposes, and since my focus was on pre-regulated double rifles, i assumed the use of standard factory ammunition with bullets that i would actual use on a hunt (9.3 with 285 grain orxy; .375 with 300 grain barnes solid)...

...at 100 yards, the norma chart indicates the following results: 9.3/.375 v = 2110fps vs. 2054fps; me = 2820flbs vs. 2812flbs...also, the 9.3 trajectory is flatter than both the .375 flanged and the .375hh...

...i am sure that a hand-loaded .375hh round in a bolt action single would easily surpass the 9.3 in all relevant criteria...however, for my purposes, and given my preference for doubles, the 9.3 appears more than satisfactory for my requirements state-side and abroad...i also note that featured phs in the african hunter magazine (e.g., ganyana) favor the similar 9.3x62 for all species of game, dangerous included...

...i suppose this is what makes our sport uniquely delightful, the ability to consciously choose a personalized 'tool' for your hunting quest in terms of action, barreling, calibre, bullet, etc...i also suppose there are no right answers, but given my distain for my bulkier, heavier bolt/falling block actions (.416 rigby/.458win.mag.), the 9.3 seems to suit me well at this point, and to be sufficiently adequate for my hunting needs...

...te...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com