hoppdoc
(.400 member)
02/08/06 11:06 PM
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot

2 shots come to mind--

One for ?marksmanship and one for hunting----

In Colorado I was stalking Mule Deer when I kicked a big 3x4 up. He crossed across an open field like a rocket and my 1st shot off a shooting stick missed him as I lead him too much. He then turned and ran directly away giving me the North South Texas shot which I promptly missed as well.
At this point he was running uphill at a 30-40 degree shooting elevation above level and I took a last offhand shot at a lasered 346 yds. He disappearedin the recoil! To my astonishment my 2 buds started hollering the buck was down.
He had been shot through the chest-lights out.
I was shooting a 300 ultra in a Remington bolt with a Swavorski TDS scope. A once in a lifetime lucky shot!!

The hunting shot was done in heavy snow with a 338 WM after tracking an elk herd for days in the high country.Bob and I ran ahead where we thought they would come out into a draw and they did-10 feet from me!! Shooting a bull elk in the total silence of falling snow at spitting range is mystic.The bull went down after running 30 yards. I am still in total amazement of what happened in those moments, even today.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com