NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
06/11/23 09:01 PM
Re: Are Iron Sights Obsolete?

Quote:

For me, a hunting rifle has normally open sights. However, every shooters, and especially long range shooters, knows that a free-swinging barrel is better in terms of precision.

David Lloyd's rifles were primarily intended for long range shooting at deers and were also zeroed in up to 400 yards, according to the customer's wishes. Strangely, Lloyd only used scopes with fixed magnification and these 4x or 6x, which is paradoxical for rifles that were intended for long range shooting.

Must like open sights, a 4x or 6x scope is very adequate for normal hunting requirements.

My .30-06 wore a 4x scope for most of its career. Shots at pigs, goats, deer to 250 to 300 yards, very possible. The longest I took was approx. 400 yards at a herd of feral goats running along a mountain path O E by one fell off the path dead. Until I wounded one and half trouble finishing it off at the base of the cliff.

A 6x is better but lesser at closer ranges. A 4x is a better compromise. A 6x is better for shooting small game.

A 4x or 6x scope is very adequate.

Quote:

In addition, the scopes were delivered with the turrets removed, which makes subsequent regulation with another ammunition very difficult. It was a very personal concept from the manufacturer. The rifles were built from the fifties until supposedly the early nineties. According to him, it should be very robust rifles for demanding deer hunters in the highlands.

Interesting and perfectionist, but ridiculous, the turrents removed.

Quote:

By the way, David Lloyd is also the designer of the cartridge that was later called 244 H&H Magnum.

Btw is the .244 a 243/6mm cartridge? Or larger bore a la Brit nomenclature?

What sort of ballistics and bullet weights did it achieve?

Quote:

Since the ammunition with which the rifle above was regulated was not known, it was difficult to first find a suitable load and then to gain with tools an access to the control of the scope. We finally succeeded, and the rifle also shoots very accurate.

Well done.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com