grandveneur
(.400 member)
01/11/23 07:34 PM
Re: Are Iron Sights Obsolete?

In the past I shoot often game with rifles only equipped with iron sights, unfortunately as I get older and now wear glasses, I have great difficulty shooting accurately with such sights. A diopter has made things easier, but I only have one hunting rifle that is equipped with it, and besides, such sights are not common among European hunters.

When it comes to shoot at longer range or when you have to shoot under poor conditions, for example under poor light conditions or in the dense bush, a scope is already an advantage and should no longer be missed nowadays. That's why nowadays you should not work without the technology if this is available. For these reasons I also have a scope on my rifles caliber 460 WBY-Magnum and 500 Schüler. It's about hunting and shooting game under the best conditions, and not just about demonstrating your skills.

As far as the use of weapons without iron sights is concerned, as it is very often or almost exclusively the case nowadays, hunters have to consider that carefully. If, under special circumstances, you need to shoot game at short range, iron sights are often very advantageous. For these reasons, it is a must for a hunter in Africa to always use a weapon that also has iron sights, be it in all cases when hunting big game, but even if you are just hunting plain game, because you can also encounter something dangerous. Defending yourself against an attack without iron sights is a very uncertain and dangerous matter.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com