eagle27
(.400 member)
13/08/23 06:29 PM
Re: The best hunting cartridge ever - 7x57

As always time marches on. Yes the 7x57 is a very good cartridge but unfortunately apart from Norma, was always underloaded by the factory ammo producers, and still is today by many in deference to some of the pre '98 Mausers that this cartridge was produced in.
The modernised version, the 7mm-08, now rules the roost, at least in my part of the world it does. A short action with ammo loaded to maximum pressures by all the factory ammo providers.

Yes the short action 7mm-08 is not conducive to heavy bullets but for all the hoofed animals in the world, a quality 140gr bullet at 2800-2950 fps is all the medicine needed to cleanly take these animals at all practical ranges.
The 7x57 cartridge is not a short action cartridge, it's a medium length cartridge for which specific length actions are now rare. The BSA Hunter medium length action was made specifically for the 7x57 and 257 Roberts and was a beauty but alas no more. I owned and used a BSA Hunter in 7x57 but my 7x61 Shultz and Larsen with 160gr bullets at 3000fps far outstripped the performance of the 7x57 and indeed any of the smaller 7mm cartridges.

My three sons and I all use the 7mm-08 now, the 7x57 sadly obsolete but even the 7mm-08's now overshadowed by my 22" barreled lightweight X-Bolt Browning 7mmWSM driving 140gr premium bullets at 3230 fps or 160gr bullets at a true 3000fps. The WSM is a long range rig, dynamite on deer and any of the goat family and I bet would do sterling service on all African plains game.

My hunting partner used his Brno 7x57 with 160 gr Nosler Partition reloads on Aussie buffalo to good enough success once he realised head and neck shots were the order of the day but of course no comparison to my 404J which categorically dumped buffalo with any good body shot with 400gr FMJ bullets.

The 7x57 is a good enough cartridge but not a miracle one.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com