DarylS
(.700 member)
12/01/23 09:37 AM
Re: Is the 7mm Rem Mag slow and never achieved predictions?

That's moving for a 140gr. Ed Matunas wrote up a loading manual, all his own testing, I think. In the verbiage, he wondered why some people swore at .270's while others loved theirs. He did his tests, using a number of .270 rifle and was quite shocked at what he found. Similar to your findings, Rule303, he had one factory .270 that with factory 130gr. ammo, it ran right at 2,750fps, while one actually produced 3,150fps - same barrel length, same ammo.
The other rifles, 5 or 6 of them, produced in between these two extremes.
He surmised the fellow who was getting 3,150fps was extremely happy, while the other fellow found his .308 to kill much better and be flatter shooting as well.
He then contacted Remington and they told him they did not like producing 130gr. loads as it was almost impossible to get stable results with it in a factory load. NP with 150gr., but those 130's were trouble.
My buddy's wife used her .270 with 130TTSX @ 3,000fps and killed all her African plains game with one shot each, including the nice Kudu. I posted a picture of that one a few years ago. She's a hell of a good shot, too.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com