NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
03/01/23 06:59 PM
Re: The 10 Most Underrated Cartridges

Quote:

.404 Jeffery

Starting with an obvious one.

The best .40 bolt action cartridge. Doesn't require a magnum sized action like the .416 Rigby. Lower pressure so better for the hot tropics.

A consideration almost always missed from modern gunwhore writers is why straight walked cartridges are BAD! Extraction. Stinking hot climates. Long tapered cartridges are better. Lower pressure is better. The modern straight walked cartridges are dog shit. A reason the long tapered nitro Express rimmed cartridges remain the best choices for double rifles and break open rifles.

Especially for the stinking hot equatorial tropical environments and dangerous big game.

Back to the .404 Jeffery. It is a bolt action cartridge. Best married to a Mauser 98 action. .423 calibre. Shoots 400/410 gr projectiles. Mild for what it is. Effective.

Chambered by Heym and other gun makers. Popular with intelligent big game hunters.

My .404 is in a Mauser M03. Shortish overall. It makes a good working bolt rifle to accompany my .450 NE DR. I am keen to use it on water buffalo. Woodleigh aweldcores and FMJs in stock in my supplies I hope! Bertram's to be sourced for practice and target matches. And also try light bullets in it, 257 gr Raptors I think they are. Previously I have been using Midas priced Norma factory ammo.

Regarding the article, I'd like to compare the case capacity if the .404 to the .416 Remington. .423 vs .416, same weight bullets. Yet the writer claims the .416 Rem is 100 for faster? Pffffft! I doubt it. Yes the .416 Rigby which is larger but not the Bumbleton ...

The .404 Jeffery will always be a choice for intelligent dg hunters.

.494 Jeffery

Contact Us NitroExpress.com