NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
14/10/22 10:34 PM
Re: First SMLE: Short Magazine Lee-Enfield History

Quote:

My father and me after him used to make 410 shotguns from shot out SMLE's so as kids we used these neat guns as we progressed from rabbits to gamebirds.

I had some shots with a friend's .410 converted SMLE. But do prefer a real shotgun for balance and pointability. Swing etc. We had and I have a side by side .410 shotgun with hammers.

Quote:

My first experience with the SMLE was when starting high school in our army cadet training which was in vogue in many schools back in the 60's (2-3 weeks military training for all boys at the start of the 1st year high school). Learning to strip, clean and shoot the SMLE and Bren gun was pretty good at 12 or 13 years old, no hearing protection provided back then and I still recall being deafened by the Bren guns when shooting one and laying next to others being fired fully auto at the same time.

I think programmes such as cadets, boy and girl scouts were excellent value for the kids and the country's future mentality. They should still be happening. I never attended any. Had to work in the farm instead of scouts, sport etc. Cadets at the local High Echool finished a few years earlier than when I attended. There were still cadet huts though where gear had been stored

Kids taken out camping, learning bush skills, camp cooking, food prepartion, shooting targets, etc is great for their confidence, outlook etc. Better than spending time on tablets and computer games. Hunting and eating wildlife even better!

Should be programmes like this again.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com