sharps4590
(.333 member)
12/08/22 03:26 AM
Re: The Rare Pleasure Of Obscure Cartridges

cr, I saw you had used your 45-90 in Africa and thought that was a fine recommendation for the cartridge!!

My 45-90 is in a Shiloh Sharps, Montana Roughrider. For 12 years I used the rifle to the exclusion of all others and never had to shoot anything twice and, only twice did the animal not fall where it stood. One was a forky, mulie that simply turned around and fell. The other was about a 220 lb. boar I hit well at a full run at about 40 yards. He slid about 20 ft. on his snout but never moved when he came to a stop. Everything else crumpled where it stood, from elk down.

My load has always been a 480 gr., NEI bullet cast of 25-1 over 80 grs. of GOEX Cartridge....which I am about out of!!! Hopefully the few cans of Old Eynsford I have will perform as well. Over my chronograph it runs 1200 fps, a little more or less, barely. SD and extreme spread are in single digits.

I recently acquired a German, muzzleloading, percussion double rifle in 56 caliber. To my delight it regulated quite easily, only had to try two loads and it came on at 65 yards, shooting a 2-3 inch, composite group with open sights and 69 year old eyes!!. If I don't have a much needed back surgery before fall, I hope to blood it.

Last year I took my deer with the 9 X 71 Peterlongo and a cast bullet load, about like a 35 Remington. The deer flailed about 15 yards.

Oh, I had an E.M. Reilly in 500 BPE for about 20 years. Fun rifle and cartridge though I never killed anything with it. Sold it and bought the Vierordt double in 8 X 65R.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com