NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
07/08/22 01:16 AM
Re: This case is inherently accurate

Quote:

I do believe case design does also add to accuracy.. belted vs non.. degree of shoulder, length of neck, circumference of case to length, etc.. I remember people hand wringing for years because the 300Win's neck was "technically too short".. IS that NOT case design? Also remember when the "SHORT" magnums came to be, how it was stated this provided a more uniformed column burn within the case..IS this not case design?? If it doesn't matter then why has this short fat case turned in such incredible accuracy for a very long time. Namely the 6.5GAP 4S..

To many examples proving case design does matter..

Some calibers are just super easy to load for and get to shoot accurately.. is it just case design? Maybe not "just".. but it certainly helps..

But are these factors real or just stated ie for case design. Other cases with other design perform just as well.

The neck length of the .300 Win Mag was no doubt a criticism when using long bullets. It is a case defect. But is the .300 Win Mag any less accurate? Say with 180 or 190 gr projectiles.

By case design my .375 H&H Magnum should be inaccurate. But 300 gr KS RWS factory ammo shoots tiny one hole groups. Admittedly 3 shot hunting groups only. A 10 shot group might be different. The rifle has a thin whippy barrel. A heavy barrel is much better for shooting more round groups accurately. But that is the barrel, not the case design.

I'm not a paper shooter so just opinion. But to me if the case and primer burns the chosen powder equally well, every time, and the case can handle the chosen bullet properly, that is only the factors relevant to case design.

Straight body walled cases were heavily marketed more for reducing case length while maintaing capacity and velocity. For shorter action rifles. Not for accuracy. Personally I dislike stuck cases. A tapered case design is better for hot humid hunting conditions in my opinion.

Shorter actions may have less flex which might improve accuracy. JMOs. If I shot competitively I might change my opinions considerably? For longer range shooting my 6.5x55 needs a better scope. Fixed 6x Swarovski currently. Adjustable turrents and greater magnification might be beneficial.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com