DarylS
(.700 member)
19/01/22 12:15 PM
Re: Savage Model 23 B in .25-20

Quote:

Daryl, I just think .218 Bee could be like "poor mans" .22 Hornet which caliber is quite popular among finnish hunters who use barking dog. I have read this caliber could be a bit difficult to reload but possible with Hodgdon Lill' Gun powder.

I would suggest more normal, older powders, Igorrock. We found Lil'Gun to be absolutely marvelous in the Ruger #1's chambered in the .218Bee, but they can operate at much higher pressures than the .218Bee was originally loaded to, which were safe in the rifle you have. The little Savage and Winchester early bolt guns lack the strength I feel, necessary for Lil'Gun to burn well. It prefers pressures in the 50,000PSi range or higher.
I fully expect loads that approximate factory ammo would be best, ie: 46gr. at about 2,860fps. This is 100fps higher than US made ammo for the Hornet and 3-400fps higher than Eu. Hornet ammo, I think.
The slower burning pistol powders are best, I think, like the old W296 or H110 (which are actually the same powder). I do not now the European equivalents.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com