Ripp
(.577 member)
09/12/21 05:17 AM
Re: Best 6.5mm Cartridges: 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser

Quote:

Ripp has probably been waiting for my comment. As I stir him and others every time the wannabe 6.5 Creedmoor is mentioned. That the 130 year old 6.5x55 has done it for 130 years, faster, better, more accurate.

I do this more or less in jest. But also because I like the old guns, old cartridges not modern wannabes designed to sell more rifles. Ripp knows it is in jest.

My clunker cut back M96 or M38 in 6.5x55 using the 140 gr Pointed/Spitzer FMJ bullets ex-mil or fmj target ? shoots tiny one hole three shot groups consistently. I am not a target shooter, 3 shot groups is adequate. I haven't used a lot of ammo in it. Some fmj's with ground off tips as well, on ferals and similar. I haven't reloaded for it. Obviously should. I'll add it to the list.

The rifle still has the stepped barrel, the aweful two stage trigger, an aweful black plastic stock replaced the cutback mil stock. I think I have added a better scope. One improvement! I do have a wood semi finished stock on hand for the Swedish Mauser but have considered a gross black tactical pistol grip plastic stock for it, if only the maker catered for the Swede. He said he might oneday. Would also have ten shot detachable boc0x mags. Then I could be really tacicool sniper with it!!! Join the 21st century!!!!

I mostly have the Swede as a loaner rifle if a visitor needs one for ferals.

I do like the 6.5x55 cartridge immensely. As Marrakai says, why bother with a .243 if one has a 6.5.

The 160gr 6.5mm bullet should be legal for sambar.

CZ used to, may still do, marketed a 6.5x55 sniper rifle to the world's militaries. Why not? It does the job with no fuss.

I think the 6.5x55 is a better cartridge than the 6.5x54/53R M-S's. Probably as the M-S cartridges are limited by the rotary magazines somewhat. Not a problem with the 6.5x55.

I do like the Steyr and M-S rifles however like many have mentioned.

A 6.5x55 in a Dorleac masterpiece or similar design Mauser rifle would be a gem to use and hunt with.

I will persevere with my Swedish Mauser clunker in the meantime.

I have a 6.5x55, a 6.5x53R, a 6.5x54 M-S and a M03 barrel in 6.5x65 ..... None of which I have used enough! . But I really really still do lust after a 6.5x68, in a custom barrel for my Mauser M03! Was only talking to a USA based M03 custom barrel makers this week. But alas he does mostly higger bore barrels.

I think the 6.5x55 will still be going strong for another 130 years ....

In honor of you fondness of the 6.5x55, I am posting a "hate" article on the creedmoor..
https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/hunting/the-6-5-creedmoor-is-not-the-ultimate-super-cartridge/

Not really a hate article, but does offer the opinion the CM is NOT a super cartridge some may believe it is..

Like you I really like those calibers in the 6.5... have the 264. Win Mag, 6.5/284, Creedmore and PRC...have taken game with all of them.. up to and including elk.. no issues .. however I still believe .30 calibers are better for elk.. stuns them more effectively on the initial hit it seems.. having said that I have dropped elk to the shot with the .264WM... I realize dead is dead.. but, anyone who has hunted elk knows they can have a certain amount of resilience to bullets... I shot a bull once at about 140 yards--300RUM.. 200fr A-Frames..Bull had not idea I was there.. I shot, he turned and started walking away from me.. I could see the blook pouring out,,but he acted like he hadnt been hit.. amazing...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com