NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
05/09/21 10:33 AM
Re: Sako 500 Jeffery

Quote:

I don't know Sako's gun, but I know the cartridge very well, and I have shot quite a bit with it in the last twenty years.

It seems to me that the 500 Jeffery has become a cartridge en vogue, whereby the cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum is still demonized despite being a much more versatile cartridge than the 500 Jeffery. I can compare because I have rifles in both calibers, rifles that I regularly used for buffalo and elephant hunting.

As an aside, I doubt a majority can handle well the cartridge 500 Jeffery, especially with the full load. I was able to determine this after I had some experienced hunters shoot with my rifle. Nobody fired more than one shot. That explains why used rifles of this caliber are regularly offered.

I don't own either. But I can't see any reason to push a .458 500 gr projectile 200 to 500 fps faster in the .460 Wby Magnum. Does one want to snipe at long range with the .460 Wby Magnum? 2200 fps and not 2700 fps still kills fine for elephant and buffalo. The Lott might do 2400 fps. 2700 fps plus or minus is just un-necessary recoil.

I would go up in calibre for better killing power anywday than more velovity with a lesser bore. Wider bullet and heavier, much better idea for dangerous and thick skiined game. Just my thoughts.

Yes I have fired, .500 Jeffery's, .577 NEs, .600 NEs and shot more than one round at a time. I am not sure if I fired a South African friends .460 Wby Mag. I don't think so.

At the Heym International Challenge in Swinefurt Germany, I was going to use a .577 3" NE as my competition gun for the elephant, buffalo, lion, leopard, balloon whatever targets in the competition. I think my shoulder might have been sore by the end of the day. Had some shots with it ad hoc, for fun, to try it out, with some other competitors from the USA before our group was stopped. I think maybe the .577 might have been outside the ranges limits. Used a .450/400 Heym DR instead. Managed to win the Elephant shoot with a perfect score of brain shots. Some of the targets were video images, the lion killed me most times. The elephants dropped like WDM Bell was shooting them.

(I forget which competition shoots were which. Some used live real ammo in the .450/400's, .375sm .416s, .30's etc. I used a .450/400 for all of it. Some shoots MAY have had a laser in the barrel? I forget).

Too many years ago, I was tempted by a Century Arms, I assume Ralph Babnich, Mauser M98 .500 Jeffery custom rifle. He was making a few the same at the time. A$4000 I think they were? I was fascinated by the large hole in the end of the barrel. Instead as I was looking for a .404, .416 or .375, I ended up settling for a .375 H&H Mag, my Whitworth M98. They made these for a few years before stopping. Some were sold in the USA.

Sorry I have never seen or used a .500 Jeffery in a Sako rifle.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com