szihn
(.400 member)
16/08/21 12:35 AM
Re: Whats your "go to" rifle

My 2 rifles that some would call "go-to rifles' I seldom use anymore. They are a Mauser in 270 Winchester and a Mauser in 375H&H. I don't use them much these days because they are just too easy to make kills with. The 270 is the caliber I started out with when I was 12 and the Mauser I mentioned above is on it's 3rd barrel.
The 375 is one I got at 22 years old and it's on it's 2nd barrel. I shot out the throats using those rifles and I was not shooting fast. I just shot them that much.

I know where those 2 guns shoot and I can shoot them very well.

But I like to really hunt, and so for the last 15 years in most of my hunts I've grabed an iron-sighted rifles of one sort or another, and many times I take only a revolver.

Sure, I can't make all the kills I would with one of the two Mausers above, but I get to hunt a lot longer.

if the season is going to close in 2 days or so, I still have it in mind to "stop playing fair" and grab the 270 or the 375, but so far I have not needed to, since I started using mostly iron-sighted guns.
That's not 100% but probably about 80%. I have made some kills with a scoped 9.3X57 and a scoped Ruger #1 in 9.3X74R, but thinking back over the last 10-15 years I think about 80% of my kills have been made using only irons and all of them at under 225 yards. Many under 75 yards.

I go-to the gun that seems like the most fun one to take these days. Not the best "killing tool", but the one I'll have the most fun with.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com