tinker
(.416 member)
31/05/21 12:19 AM
Re: Whats your "go to" rifle

I live out away from town, on average where I can shoot whatever I want whenever I want and at extended range if I want.

I end up shooting a lot of guns and rifles that aren't mine for function and sight regulation, some weeks that's a daily event.

Although I've heard the old saying to be aware of the dude with only one rifle etc, and I've parroted the same message myself for eons, I don't have any problem getting close and comfortable with a new or different rifle or cartridge.
From 22 Short to 500 Jeffery, I tend to do just fine with whatever the day brings.

I have a policy here on my hills that whatever needs getting shot gets shot. I don't need to get out there and burn a couple hundred rounds of ammunition to call it a day on the range. I do however often spend time fiddling with a new load or a new-to-me rifle. I need to be entertained after all.

This time of year is a great time to put downward pressure on the ground squirrels. I hate those little bastards. They're high on the list of things that need to get shot. Fortunately the Good Lord gave us the 17 Remington, for it's a very effective force multiplier in the conversation of destructive pest control.

My current go-to rifle is a detachable magazine fed bolt rifle in a tough HS Precision stock. A load that I've been working with this week goes out at 4800 FPS and from 30 to 220 yards is plus/minus no more than an inch of point of aim.
At 220 it's still going over 2900fps
Trigger is set at a pound, bolt is set up with a lightweight striker assembly, the rifle is accurate and the scope is clear. There's essentially no recoil and the rifle isn't very noisy. This thing is a laughter generator.

If I'd been awarded any big game tags for this year, my current go-to rifle would possibly be something else. The Krag sporter is literally beside me right now, with accurate ammunition within reach. So is the Hornet, and a 6mm rifle.

There's a rack of muzzle loaders and stocked possibles bags from the little caplock squirrel rifle to the 20bore flintlock British sporting rifle.

Plenty of choices for any occasion, but for today the best bet is the 17 Remington bolt rifle. There are ground squirrels lining up to get their shots...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com