93x64mm
(.416 member)
17/05/21 07:35 AM
Re: 200gr Woodleigh for 30-06

Quote:

Tried the Woodleighs in an '06 (1903 Springfield, vintage of 1918, iron sights). Velocity was around 2300 fps. Accuracy was nothing special, benched it was somewhere around 2 1/2" for 5 shots at 100 yards.

Performance was surprising. Target was a wild pig, at about 30 yards. As is my usual practice, I aimed for the bullet to exit the shoulder on the off side, which it did. The bullet then proceeded to go through the chest of another (previously unseen) pig, then go skipping off to visit the neighbors.

First pig was about 350 pounds. The bullet went through a rib on the entry side, and through the shoulder joint on the off-side. I noticed some bits of jacket material and lead in the joint but didn't collect/weigh them. Second pig was about 200 pounds; the bullet destroyed ribs on both sides.

That was the only shot I got that day, went back to the 303 for the rest of the trip.

Two for the price of one!
Great sized pigs there Jim - bloody corker sizes!
Pigs can be tough customers, The old .303 is no slouch in this department either but to take an anchoring shot sometimes means drilling thru a LOT of pig to stop them, obviously have it in spades with this projectile!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com