NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
15/05/21 12:44 PM
Re: 200gr Woodleigh for 30-06

Quote:

Yes buddy its been a long time.

It seems to be the only decent "heavy" stuff around here available for 3006.

Quote:

Ripp,

Is there enough energy gain using 200gr compared to a 180gr @2500fps. In your opinion will it leave you with better killing power?

Don't be a stranger. Stick around.

As for 200 gr projectiles and .30-06's. In the safari prior to when I hunted with you, I used a .30-06 in Zimbabwe for plains game, including zebra, warthog, duiker, kudu, wildebeest, eland and impala.

I didn't have enough 180 gr Noseler Partitiions loaded up so decided to pop in the ammo box some 200 gr Nosler Partitions in a discontinued semi pointed design.

Which was a good move. I experienced problems with the 180 gr Nosler Partitions acting like a FMJ. The tip being far too fragile, blowing up and the shank zipping through like a FMJ. Caused problems with my zebra and my warthog. My wildebeest was not shot well so that was my fault. I believe the problems was with a "bad batch" as most people do not experience these probelsm.

I did chance the same loads a decade later on a sambar with member Gryphon. That stag ran and collapsed in a batch of blackberries. So no problem there.

For the safari I then switched to the 200 gr Nosler Partition Semi-pointed. NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. The head tracker Judea thought I was using a different rifle. The 200 gr Noselr Partitions semi-pointed expanded and made proper wound channels. Kudu, a couple of shots, because it didn't drop on the first. Duiker and impala either dropped or ran and died promptly. The eland was a one shot plus one shot kill. The first shot angled through from behind to just above the heart brought it to a stand. Running up a second shot to the heart hurried its death and dropped it to the ground. It was satsifying for us, as a dickhead fool of a PH in camp claimed a .30-06 could not kill an eland.

I'm planning to try Woodleighs in my .30-06 in 200 gr, 220 gr and 240 gr weights. For heavier bullets I prefer a semi pointed or round nose SP. Can't remember which of the Woodleighs are RNs. Perhaps the 220 and 240.

As for velocity, my .30-06 did from memory about 2300 to 2400 fps. I never seem to get the velocities some other handloaders do. I usually work up a load to the most accurate and then stick with that, rather than seek less accurate loads with more velocity.

I would be more than happy to use 200 gr bullets in my .30-06 if the bullet is of decent design fro controlled expansion.

PS D, you used to have a .243 and .460 Wea Mag. Added a .30-06 I presume. Any others in the 10 to 15 years? Welcome back. Hope all is well in South Africa for you.

Just remembered, it was in 2006, I think.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com