Nick_Adams
(.300 member)
03/03/21 05:17 AM
Re: Grandpa's "custom" 30-40 Krag

Quote:

I've been through the NRA Gunsmithing book and they do mention using a 03 barrel as a replacement for the Krag. However after cutting off the chamber end and facing it off you're only left with about 20-22" of barrel left. So if your barrel falls within 20-22" could be better than an even chance they the barrel is from an 03 Springfield. In any event very fine looking custom Krag. Thanks For sharing. Frank

Wow, I should've gotten back to this board sooner. Been away for a while. I didn't realize this old thread was still active.

Hi FrankS and group:

The barrel on my Gramp's Krag measures out right at 23.25". I'm now inclined to think it's the original Krag barrel that was cut back when it was customized.

Still shoots great and balances and handles nicely in the field too. Took it to deer camp last November, along with my handloads using 220gn Hornady RN SPs over Varget. I keep them to the Krag's original velocity spec of 2000fps. Even though those 'paper ballistics' seem mild, that 220gn RN slug hits like the Hammer of Thor on deer. Probably would be similarly terminal on hogs, but I haven't yet had the opportunity.

Going forward, I'm planning to transition over to loading coated 215gn RN hard casts due to the cost of components, even notwithstanding the scarcities of late.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com