Ripp
(.577 member)
24/02/21 05:23 AM
Re: The Winchester-model-70

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nice looking rifle Patagonhunter.

I have never liked the M70. Simply because of the fit,and lack of safety from escaping gas. Fit could be fixed and so could the bolt handle (looks only). However those I know who have them love them and most shoot well.

The 30-06 is a great cartridge case for making .270,35 Whelan, 338-06 etc. Tried one once and it did nothing my old 303 wouldn't do and did nothing for me. Yet I like the 308, go figure, I can't. Mind you 30 cal is the least used of my collection now. The old M94 in 30-30 used to get used a lot in my younger day.

Yes the M98's and M17/P14's have a slow lock time. The M70 sits between these and the Rem 700.

SO, what am I missing???

I stopped by a local gun shop on my weekly route.. they had M98 sitting there on the shelf.. so, I grabbed it .. worked it a bit, looked at it.. as you state on the M70, it did nothing for me as well..

NOT trying to start a war on NE because I am not enamored by the M98 action.. merely want to to know what others are seeing that I am not..

Perhaps I am just a country hick that doesn't enjoy some of life's finer items..

Not missing anything. Took a long time for the M98 action-and its copies- to be liked by me. Just traveling to the beat of another drum.

A proper M98 is reliable but clunky to cycle when compared to a lot of modern actions. In military form it is heavier then needs be for a sporter.

I believe a lot of people are hoodwinked by some of the adulation written about the M98 that are simply not true. Most center around the CRF.

Thank you for the explanation.. I would have responded sooner but was calving cows at the ranch..

And yes, clunky was the term that come to my mind as well..

As I stated, I have a custom in .416.. Mauser action.. don't care for it much nor do I use it.. guess I should just sell it to an unsuspecting victim, I mean buyer...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com