Ripp
(.577 member)
19/02/21 09:17 AM
Re: The Winchester-model-70

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nice looking rifle Patagonhunter.

I have never liked the M70. Simply because of the fit,and lack of safety from escaping gas. Fit could be fixed and so could the bolt handle (looks only). However those I know who have them love them and most shoot well.

The 30-06 is a great cartridge case for making .270,35 Whelan, 338-06 etc. Tried one once and it did nothing my old 303 wouldn't do and did nothing for me. Yet I like the 308, go figure, I can't. Mind you 30 cal is the least used of my collection now. The old M94 in 30-30 used to get used a lot in my younger day.

Yes the M98's and M17/P14's have a slow lock time. The M70 sits between these and the Rem 700.

Agree, Nice looking Rifle...

Thanks for posting the pics..

Your comment on the .30 cal is interesting.. as it is one of the most commonly used calibers in the US... 30-06, 308W, 300Win Mag, etc.. are a huge percentage of the ammo sold each year... that is when you could still buy ammo..

I travel to the beat of a different drum I guess. I just like different calibres. I do have 2 308's and a 300SAUM, all are good shooters but get used the least.

Not necessarily.. it's just that in the US the .30 caliber ranks very high as to popularity.. Probably much due to the 30-06 and then 300 Win Mag's introduction.. The 300WSM is more popular than the 7MM WSM as well.. the 7mm Rem. Mag took off like a rocket on it's initial offering and is still popular today..but not as much as the old 30 cals...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com