PatagonHunter
(.300 member)
15/02/21 09:54 PM
Re: The Winchester-model-70

Hello,

I have a .375 H&H M70, made in 1954. I bought it here in 1992. It came with a Southafrican who arrives to settle in a just developed irrigation area. His plan failed. So he went back to SA but left the rifle here to a friend. By chance I contacted a friend of that SA friend and at the end I bought the rifle. It was well used but cared for! Came with two yellow Winchester boxes of that old 300 grs Silvertips.
The first I noted was the stock was cracked in the web just behind the trigger. And there was no contact between the recoil stop of the action and the stock wood...by about 0,5 mm!! So, I put there some thin metal sheets to fix it, in the zone, both vertical and horizontal contact surfaces. And fixed the cracked part.
The rifle feeds and extracts ANY cartridge with ANY bullet absolutely perfect! As if there where no cartridges at all...! And the magazine is for four cartridges. As all pre-64 H&H magnum rifles. The trigger pull was almost perfect in this rifle, without any drag before release but a little heavy, so I change the trigger spring for one a little less strong. The result was a trigger pull of about 3 1/5 lbs. Great! By the way, the lock time is much shorter than the one in a Mauser 98. The rifle groups almost anything in 3 cm at 100 m. With some loads better than that. Better than I can do...
Was my second serious big game rifle back then 1992, together with my DWM Sporting rifle.
Having said all this, I am a Mauser fan at heart. Period. I thing the M98 action design is much better and safer than the M70 pre-64. But for a .375 H&H I thing a good Winchester 70 Pre-64 is hard to surpase in function....

PH

Contact Us NitroExpress.com