mckinney
(.400 member)
21/01/21 02:05 PM
Re: Unusual Remington Model 30

Thanks for the comments guys. I thought this thread had died until I saw the most recent comment.

I did try to take the rifle out of the stock. However it is in there very tight and I was afraid to use the force required. Will try again when I have access to a proper vise. I looked the rifle, scope mounts, and peep sight over again for markings and found nothing new.

I sent a few pics of the rifle to George Caswell in the hope that he might know something. No response yet. There may be a Remington guru out there somewhere who knows.

I agree that it looks like a gunsmith project but the stock work does not look like G&H to me. Early G&H rifles usually have a pancake cheekpiece and later ones are of an entirely different shape. There is a gorgeous 30-S by G&H under 'sold items' on Mike Schwandt's website (schwandtclassicarms.com) which shows the later stock style. Well worth a look just to see the rifle. There is also a beautiful Niedner Springfield with a bolt peep made by E.H. Stahl on Mike's site. I don't believe the peep on my rifle is a Stahl.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com