93x64mm
(.416 member)
14/12/20 07:43 AM
Re: I have a confession to make ....

Quote:

Quote:

Don't feel bad at all about this one John, I have one too but in .308 Norma Magnum!

Are you channelling Bob Penfold?

[quote
Great trigger on mine........have to agree with you one the stock though - but it was all the rage here back in the late '70's & early '80's!
By the way your new take on the stock is far more practical & classical - back to the 'future', what is old is new again!
Lovely piece mate, I hope you get out with it soon

I think of the stock as the "Classic American". Some classic Brit features, but also designed for modern scopes and also the lomger forend. Which are features of the modern classic stocks in the USA. And probably appropriate for a .30-06.

As for my joke of "channelling Bob Penfold". I was influenced and enjoyed reading the articles of Bob Penfold and Col Allison in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Bon of course used a .308 Norma Magnum with a stepped barrel, obviously rechambered from a .30-06.

Col Allison wrote a lot about his 7mm Remington Magnum and also the .30-06. He re-barrelled his .30-06 to 7mm Rem Mag. Later saw wisdom and had a .30-06 again.

Articles about hunting in Alaska and Africa, Australia and NZ.

Spot on John - you got me in one!
Appears we have read the same articles, those by Mr Penfold have long since got to the bin from over use!
Wonderful cartridge the .308NM
As to your stock, the only change if it was mine would be to also slim it down just a little at the fore end as you mentioned.
It is one hell of a very nice hunting rifle there John none the less!

Ross Waghorn does exceptional work

Contact Us NitroExpress.com