NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
25/11/20 07:59 AM
Re: Some of the Top Infantry Rifles of all time...

For one of the few times I think the magazine article is good.

Not sure about all the ancient pre bolt action stuff. The oldest bolts do make sense. As they were a huge improvement on the single shot muzzle loaders.

The Henry lever action I have in the past referred to as the "assault rifle" of the time. Short ranged cartridges, but a nice wide lead calibre, but huge magazine, and quick firing. Exactly what would be needed for the Zulus attacking the laager.

Two surprising omissions while on that topic. The Martini-Henry and the US Springfield "trapdoor" I think it is called. Both vast improvements on the muzzle loaders.

Of course the Mauser 98 is included, revolutionary and still the best hunting bolt action that is.

BUT I think as a battle rifle the SMLE was better. With a larger magazine and IMO faster reloading. Not as good or accurate as a M98 but a better battle rifle.

The STG 44, set the scene for the later AK-47 of course, which also inspired the M16.

There is no doubt IMO the Garand was force factor in infantry firepower in WW2 and deserves the No.1 spot for WW2 rifles.

I have been looking for a pump action rifle, and there is no doubt WHY they ban semi autos where they can from civilian use. Because in mil terms and defence terms they make a big difference. Can't have a well armed populace in a Brave New World Order World.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com