(.700 member)
11/10/20 05:54 PM
Re: Your Opinion?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What Bramble said..

I third that one.
Not to sound snobbish, but it is gratifying showing up at camp with a classic rifle in a classic round. Not just for generating envy from your hunting pals, but for the connection you get to the great riflemen of the past. I'm goofy over old guns, and it is hard to pretend to be Corbett waiting over a tiger kill when I am holding a gun with a plastic stock.
You won't regret swapping a few new guns for a single classic.
That said, the '06 is the way to go IMHO.

And why Huvius is one of our long term regular and true believer members.

I'm glad I am not the only mad man here, who loves to imagine what a one hundred year old rifle, plus or minus decades, was once used for, where, how and by whom. What game it hunted. What charges it stopped or didn't! Who smoked a pipe cradling it on a machan.

And just like Huvius, when sitting in a tree, cradling my walnut stocked classic .30-06, waiting in jungle like environs for the hog deer to appear and drink at the waterhole, I can imagine it is a maneating tiger I am waiting for ...... impossible with some ugly plastic contraption.

As for others opinions of the camp, one can arrive at a conclusion as to one's camp's inhabitants. If they jeer at one's 1905 classic rifle in an age old cartridge chambering, and it is "drift woood" or a "fence post" and in a cartridge so out of date it is "useless". You are in the company of superficial mindless nogam drones. Keep them happy with an article "Ten New Must have New Rifles with New Cartridges".

Or if they ooh and aah at the warm grain, the deep blue or even worn patina worn by hands in the jungles, deserts, mountains, forests, swamps ..... that that 115 year old cartridge is their favourite ..... then you know you are in the company of true believers and like minded souls.

Seriously enjoy which ever you like and use, and always try to hunt with a firearm you actually like and love, as long as it is effective, whether designed for the artic and sodden forests, or deserts or swamps, walnut or God forbid even plastic stocks. If you are happy, the mob doesn't matter.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com