Marrakai
(.416 member)
28/09/20 05:27 PM
Re: 222 Remington Rifle Cartridge Family Portrait

Quote:

most were normal stocked rifles weren't they?

John:
The full-wood stock was a popular option by all accounts.
Since acquiring mine, I have been paying attention and reckon I have seen more of them in Australia than the half-stock version over the past 1/4-century.
Not all were triple-twos, a couple were in 7x33 IIRC.
Having said that, there is a half-stock L-46 for sale right now on one of the internet gun sites.

Quote:

please tell the story

OK...
One day in the 1990s at Micket Creek Range I was walking from the firing-line back to my truck when I passed Kurt M_ at the boot of his car.
He was surrounded by a group of hopefuls in one of those off-the-record show-and-tell moments, but no-one was buying.
Shouldering my way in and craning my neck for a look, I spied the classic Riihimaki-marked sporter in question, lying on a picnic rug.
"Veery nice" I thought to myself. "How much?"
"Six" replied Kurt.
Ah, must be more to these early Sakos than meets the eye!
Certainly six grand was out of my league so I put the lovely little L-46 out of my mind and moved on.

A couple of years later Kurt brought the rifle to one of our Collector Club meetings and tossed it on the table with a 'For Sale' tag dangling from the trigger guard.
It looked even nicer than I remembered, so I caught his attention and asked "How much is it again?"

"Still six hundred" says Kurt...

I couldn't get my wallet out quick enough!!

At the time, looking through the scope was like holding a glass of milk up to my eye, but a quick trip to Rod Fielder restored the brilliant German optics and both scope and rifle have proven faultless ever since.

Everyone should own at least one triple-two!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com