animalwithin
(.275 member)
08/07/20 04:02 AM
Re: My new Merkel!

Quote:

Normally, with that 1 1/2" drop in length, a reduction of about 50fps would be made.
The larger the case compared to bullet diameter, the greater the drop.
Normally, from say, 24" to 20", the drop would be in the 35fps range, per inch.
There seems to be a critical length, where the drop in vel. is even greater and with many ctgs. That seems to be 20" for many, and dropping from there further, will have increased drop per inch.
As noted, it depends on the ctg.
Of course in California, you will need to use a mono bullet anyway. The Hornady 80gr. GMX or Barnes 85gr. TSX will fill the bill.
So - Hornady or Federal ammo load those, seems to me.

I will keep this in mind, thank you Daryl. I picked up Federal in 100gr for the range, will look for the ones you mentioned for hunting.

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks gents!

Tinker, I'm in the ever so lovely city of Los Angeles. The more time goes on the more I aspire to a nice place somewhere in Montana.

Daryl, it's a 20" barrel but still a fairly short rifle overall at 38.5". I know the Sako carbine I was looking at is at least an Inch longer than the Merkel.

MONTANA is horrible.. tons of snakes, horrible grizzly attacks every day.. lots of men, women and children go missing every day... earthquakes.. fires.. droughts... tell everyone Montana is a horrible place..

Ripp

Can't fool me Ripp! I'd take snakes, bears, earthquakes, fires, droughts, and missing humans any day over delusional protesters and rioters. Traffic and smog isn't all that great either.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com