NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
11/06/20 05:55 AM
Re: "Would you shoot it?"

Interesting related sort of, one London auction house purposefully cuts holes into the barrels of shotguns before selling them. Because of legal liability. The shotguns do not meet modern standards so when selling them, reportedly for GBP10 a piece, some really lovely side by sides, sideplates, sidelocks etc, there is a great big rectangular hole in each barrel.

For whatever reason these guns do nt meet proof standards or chamber dimensions etc, so the gun is sold as is, with a hole in the barrel.

That way they can not be shot, and zero liability for the sale.

The guy who showed me a collection he had bought for ten pounds apiece had plans to re-chamber, rebarrel, sleeve etc them. Some of them were very nice, except now airy.

The fact, the comment was made, about liability still adhering, in the posts above, is one reason, to just state the facts, as known in writing and largely stick to that. If there is any question.

I can understand buying a gun at auction, sight unseen is risky. A reason I never do it, and otherwise would try to have someone trustworthy inspect the items personally. Otherwise one can only go by the catalogue description. .

Personally I would never sell a dangerous gun as a shooting firearm without a qualification. And I would also expect any firearm described as being able to be fired and especially if it has been fired by the seller, to be safe. To the extent they claim it can be fired (ie loads etc)

It is a bit funny, but many a time, someone has mentioned on the internet shooting a gun with a piece of string on the trigger the first time.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com