EDELWEISS
(.375 member)
10/06/20 10:40 PM
Re: "Would you shoot it?"

I very much do "get" the fear of a law suit being a reason not to answer, but at the same time a seller who raves about the condition sorta "steps on his junk". You cant say this GUN is in great shape, then go on to describe how great it is and not answer because you dont want to be sued. In my case Im pretty sure a court would say failing to answer the would you shoot it question, wouldnt release you from liability after describing the great condition.

That being said, yes I do understand fears of being sued. Being sued is something we face everyday, all the more so in the firearms world and especially so in the used/antique realm. An answer that would have completely satisfied me and had me writing a cheque, would have been, "It looks good to me. Yeah Id shoot it with light loads AFTER a qualified gunsmith (one who understands damascus guns) pronounced it safe."

IF it was at a local shop, where I could make a personal assessment, I still might have asked the question; but THAT would be so I could SEE and HEAR his response. I cant do that on an online auction or through emails; so I have to ask pointed questions. Conversely if I had failed to ask the question, and there was a problem; the seller could have said "you didnt ask about that"

I guess I really knew the answer before I asked but wanted to hear something to change my mind. Admittedly I was drawn to his glowing description. I wanted the gun and told him so. I just wanted some positive assessment of shootability, beyond his description. I still would have bought it IF he would have allowed a return after a safety inspection; but he advised me in the emails that a gunsmith's assessment wasnt an acceptable reason to return it.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com