NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
02/05/20 08:51 PM
Re: The Nearly Forgotten .318 Westley Richards

Quote:

Agreed: very good article.
The .318 WR is an itch I have been needing to scratch for a long time now.
In fact I just had a conversation with a barrel supplier 2 days ago.

Tell me about it!

Quote:

The .338-06 I built in the interim has identical ballistics but just doesn't seem "pukka" by comparison.

Not pukka one little bit, old chap.

I would like a vintage .318 WR, but probably couldn't afford one. I also want one with a scope in QD mounts, but also express sights and a bolt shroud peep sight, or a pop up peep sight. And a re dot sight to able to be put on a QD base as well. Nothing like total redundancy!

A custom built rifle would be nice and built perfectly the way I want one. But again $$$.

So a half way house solution would be to obtain a CZ in say .30-06 and rebore or rebarrel. And build the custom rifle bit by bit in stages. Need $$$ for the CZ as well, but also finding the right one. I want one with a pop up peep sight. They are neat the ZKK 600 or thereabouts that model.

An advantage of the non-pukka .338/06 or the 8.5x63 is all the lovely bullets available for the .338 calibre, from 160 gr to 300 grs. Bertram makes a 180 gr for plinking and lighter game, Woodleigh and Bertram 250 gr for the same or for buffalo.

I don't know if I could do it, to re-barrel my existing .30-06 to .318 WR and add some open sights to it ??? Everyone needs a .30-06 though. And it is still my MAIN deer hunting choice rifle. Loading 250 gr .30 calibre bullets would probably do the same as the .318 anyway .....

Always too many choices ....

Contact Us NitroExpress.com