Ripp
(.577 member)
30/12/19 06:23 AM
Re: McLaughlin Firearms Custom 28 Nosler..Defiance action/Proof

Quote:

Most bonded bullets of straight cup and core design, use pure lead for the core. This is what I read about them (in general) - I have no experience with them, myself. They are very rapid expanding - wad up like bubblegum and thus oft times do not give the deep penetration their weight retention would suggest.
The Swift A-Frame design, having the partition resists this gross expansion and gives back penetration that would have been lost, had it been a standard cup and core design.

This made sense to me. 9.3x57's penetration tests of 300gr. .375 Interbond also showed this "gross" or large expansion and reduced penetration of the standard cup and core bonded bullets, compared to the Swift A'Frame.

Agree--experienced similar result my first trip to Africa..using my 300RUM for plains game--shooting 180 Accubonds.. MV was 3370fps... way too hot for that bullet.. took 4 shots to keep a waterbuck down.. switched to A-Frames out of my .416 for the next 2 weeks on everything.. worked great.. and no big holes even on the little guys..with the exception of a baboon.. see below..

He made the fatal error of being in the open meadow was we come into the clearing.. ran across the open to escape.. took one through the back at 192 yards from my .416--400gr A-Frame..
"THAT" left a mark..
P1170051 - Copy by A Hoffart, on Flickr

Yet, I shot all of these with the same rifle and bullet combo.. no issues with large entry or exit holds.. in fact I shot the warthog at 80 yards facing me.. recovered the bullet on his rear end right beside his blowhole.. out of 400 grs bullet still weighed 392 grs..
P1060018 - Copy - Copy by A Hoffart, on Flickr
--

P1160041 - Copy by A Hoffart, on Flickr
--

P1060006 - Copy by A Hoffart, on Flickr

Accubonds are great for a mv of 3100fps or less --I have used them for every Ibex and Sheep hunt I have ever been on with my 280AI..(8 total)-- works like the hammer of Thor on them.. 140 gr bullet..3150fps.. and most shots have been between 325 to 530 yards..so, upon impact the speed was greatly reduced..

I see different posts on the next proclaiming the ELD-X as a good bullet on elk and smaller.. for now I am sticking to deer and smaller until I can test a few more.. picked up some 175gt ELD-x's for the 28 Nosler--lower speed and higher weight..believe that will be better than the 162's ..at least for elk..

Contact Us NitroExpress.com