xausa
(.400 member)
30/11/19 10:19 PM
Re: BRNO ZG47 and ZKK-600 rifle differences

My acquaintance with BRNO rifles began in 1970, in Germany, where I was a university student. My purchase was a ZKK 602 in .375 H&H, which I planned to use on a driven boar hunt. I was struck by the resemblance to the pre-War Model 70 Winchester, but stymied by the safety, which, as has been pointed out, works back to front. I still have the rifle, changed to .500 Jeffrey and fitted with a new, Winchester style bolt shroud and safety. I would not hesitate to take it with me to Africa, were I ever to go there again.

My encounter with the ZG 47 came much later, after I had already made the acquaintance of the Models 21 and 22. It is a superior rifle in all respects except for the back to front safety, which has also been replaced with a Model 70 version.

Over the years, I have also acquired Models ZKK 600 and 601. One 600 has served as the basis for a 6.5X64 Brenneke rifle, which saw action in the hunting field as recently as last Monday. It has never missed a deer it was aimed at and never failed to drop it with one shot.

Even though my first love is the pre-64 Model 70 and in particular those made before WW II, the BRNO rifles have earned my respect and admiration.

This is my old ZKK 602, with its new CZ stock and Winchester safety in its new identity as a .500 Jeffrey:

Contact Us NitroExpress.com