Marty
(.300 member)
18/06/05 12:07 AM
Re: the worlds best rifle

Bunnies to Elephant.

And cheap too...

Guess that counts out Mike 378's $4000 375RUM, much less the $13000 Weatherby in .460.

The worlds a big place. Calibre choice (therefore ammo availability) needs to be considered.

mehulkamdr says the one you shoot best with. Trouble is if I shoot well with it, and everyone else in the world doesnt, it is hardly the best rifle in the world, is it?

I would say, that I can get 30/06 ammo in just about every country. I would say I can shoot a rabbit and get a feed off it with a 30/06 if I hit it right. I would think I could drop an Elephant with a 30/06 if I hit it right. I'm thinking I need a good size magazine if I'm going to not do that.

I'm actually leaning to the BAR. Its neither fish nor fowl but in the context of the question I'm not thinking of a whole lot of other answers. Trouble is its probably not legal in a lot of places, and the price puts it in Mikes league I suspect.

So a Rem 7600 in 30/06 with a detachable 10 round Box mag and a low powered scope. $800 2nd hand tops. Bunnies (just) to Ele (just). And I can get ammo at the Rabbit Flat roadhouse, or the local sports store in Niger.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com