NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
31/07/19 05:13 PM
Re: A discussion on switch barrel rifle systems

Thanks for your reply.

Quote:

There are many switch barrel rifles out there for those interested in such systems. How do you define a “switch barrel” firearm? Those like the Blaser rifles? Or would you include hinged doubles with multiple barrel sets specifically made for the stocked action?

The query was answered in the opening post. Open to anything, break open, bolt action, modern bolt actions, single shots, even semi auto, though not an option for me.

Not looking for a philisophical discussion but more comments on the actual systems a person has experience on.

Quote:

2. Avoiding legal hassles and government red tape bullshit surrounding ownership, registration, and quantity of firearms state sanctioned to be owned by the individual.

Yes one advantage is in countries where there is a set minimum of firearms permitted to be owned.

Or in countries where every additional firearms 'calibre' needs bureaucratic permission to be acquired. And possibly justification decided by someone who has no knowledge of firearms. An additional barrel may not require a permit to acquire. As is the case here.

Quote:

Disadvantages:
1. Sight in repeatability or lack thereof......Many will need to have the sights adjusted between swaps. Some don’t - Blaser has the market cornered on this with their funky precise and highly expensive but very repeatable accuracy saddle mount system.

Most worthwhile systems or the use of good QD mounts should fix this problem. And it is one consideration which is worthwhile mentioning if people discuss a specific switch barrel rifle system ie does it need re-sighting in every time a barrel sis switched.

Quote:

2. You never seem to have the right caliber/sighting arrangement mounted for the shot presentation when hunting, e.g. 300 Win Mag required to reach out a touch a distant Elk when you have a .45-70 barrel mounted..... Extreme and probably not a totally realistic example, but it drives this particular point home.

Not really relevant. Not any different to carrying a normal fixed barrel rifle. One is not "switching" barrels in the field.

The sort of nonsense gunwriters write to sell new rifles to unknowledgable consumers that "one must simply have this rifle chambered in this new fangled whizz bang cartridge X to do the job".

For example I have a Mauser M03, in .222, 6.5x65. 8x68S and .404. Obviously if I am hunting smaller game I am using the .222. If I encounter a lovely trophy deer, my loss. Unlikely situation. BTW a .222 in or above the heart will kill any deer, as will a bullet precision shot in the brain. Done it a lot of times, to farmed deer. Would be very hesitant to do it to a wild stag which can run away if poorly shot. But have done so as well to meat animals. If undisturbed. At reasonable range, not a hard shot at all.

If I am hunting water buffalo, or cape buffalo, or elephant or something big, I will have the .404 in the rifle. If I encounter a pig, an antelope or other medium game, I make do with a more than powerful rifle than needed.

If I am hunting deer or feral medium game, it does really matter if I have a 6.5mm or 8mm barrel in place. Make do with what one has.

I also have a Valmet/Tikka set of barrels, Under and over 12 gauge, under and over 9.3x74R double rifle, 12 gauge over 7x65R, and 12 gauge over .223. I will choose the barrel for the purpose, the U/O shotgun for shotgunning, clays, ducks, rabbits whatever. The U/O 9.3mm DR for buffalo, deer or pigs. The combination barrels I still have not used. Finds for scopes or electronic sights have not been available. Hopefully soon. I would use the combination barrels where a shotgun shot or a rifle hot might be needed, rabbits and foxes for the 12g/.223, or eg rabbits an dpigs for the 12 g/7mm. Adds versatility.

For the Mauser M03 or the Valmet/Tikka I have not experienced any problems with needing to sight in every time a barrel is changed. I do like to check though. For the Mauser M03 in .222 I do like to check as I require spot on precision for that rifle. 30mm off is not acceptable. Does not matter much with a .404 or 8mm.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com