Postman
(.375 member)
31/07/19 12:33 AM
Re: A discussion on switch barrel rifle systems

There are many switch barrel rifles out there for those interested in such systems. How do you define a “switch barrel” firearm? Those like the Blaser rifles? Or would you include hinged doubles with multiple barrel sets specifically made for the stocked action?

I can think of several such systems as I am sure others can as well. Blaser, Sako Quad rimfire, to name a couple top of mind.

Advantages? Three main ones:

1. Versatility in selecting purpose built caliber whether it be center fire rifle of a wide range of caliber choice, shotgun, or rimfire all in a single firearm.

2. Avoiding legal hassles and government red tape bullshit surrounding ownership, registration, and quantity of firearms state sanctioned to be owned by the individual.

3. Portability for the travelling hunter.

Disadvantages:

1. Sight in repeatability or lack thereof......Many will need to have the sights adjusted between swaps. Some don’t - Blaser has the market cornered on this with their funky precise and highly expensive but very repeatable accuracy saddle mount system.

2. You never seem to have the right caliber/sighting arrangement mounted for the shot presentation when hunting, e.g. 300 Win Mag required to reach out a touch a distant Elk when you have a .45-70 barrel mounted..... Extreme and probably not a totally realistic example, but it drives this particular point home.

I personally like switch barrels, but I also don’t feel constrained such that they are my first choice in selecting a rifle. One can do an awful lot with a single versatile fixed caliber rifle.... Use a single hammer and get comfortable with the tool.....See the .30-06 thread.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com