Rule303
(.416 member)
14/07/19 09:05 AM
Re: An Ode to the Lever Action Rifle

Quote:

Quote:

I consider the idea that "one needs a short barreled rifle in the brush" to be a gun writer myth. As a person that often hunts with a long barreled muzzleloader, I have never had any difficulties. To me it is all about balance, with no scope a long barreled gun can be a wonderful thing.

My perspective is that of a hound-hunter.
It is a very active style of hunting that frequently requires movement through heavy vegetation along game-trails not designed for human progress.

I acquired a carbine length 1895 Marlin for fun, more than anything else. At that time, my serious bush rifles were a a Sako A3 in .300WM and a Browning A-Bolt in .375H&H. Both were more than adequate for Sambar and more versatile for the occasional longer shot, but when I carried the Marlin for the first time, I rapidly came to appreciate the ease with which I could carry it on a sling without the additional barrel length snagging on every limb that i’d ducked my head to pass under.

Regards......Peter.

My findings to Pete. The little Win model 94 and the Valmet hunter were easier to get through the thick vegetation with and handier to use. Carrying a 25" barrel CZ550 through the jess in Zim required it to be slung barrel down, even then it was catching. Was it a major problem, no, just a nuisance even when carried in the hand.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com