BillG500
(.300 member)
02/07/19 03:21 PM
Re: .300 Blackout ?

Rolf, I also found accuracy to be lacking but good enough for hunting purposes for me. I got a few Lehigh projectiles off a friend and was not happy with their performance as they did not penetrate well and just left a nasty wound on the one deer I shot. If I didn't have my dog with me this day I would not of found the hind as it ran 300m or so through thick bush before it expired. I only shot one deer with these projectiles, so I can only comment on one event here. Same when I used subs using other bullets which just pin holed which is OK if you hit a vital spot, but cruel if you miss. I don't advocate hunting with subs and put it in the same basket as long range hunting.

I have shot the .300 Whisper for over 10 years now and have a real soft spot for it. I think I must of tried just about every bullet, powder and velocity combination out there and have come up with a hunting load that works for what I hunt and it works well. I think the three critical elements to shooting a .300 Blackout/Whisper are:

1. Attention to handloading and weighing each load
2. Correct bullet selection for the animal hunted and the velocity achieved
3. Keeping shooting distances in check 150m to 200m at a real stretch

Contact Us NitroExpress.com