NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
20/06/19 02:31 PM
Re: 6.5 Creedmoor vs 308 Winchester Debate Settled

Quote:

The 6.5x55 seems to do just fine on moose in Sweden ..

I posted the article for a number of reasons. One because I know you like the Creedmoor. Also because the article was mostly written well with good reasoning, good arguments, using logic not unfounded opinion like a lot of lesser articles. But also because one failing of the article was the author's failure to say "why bother with the Creedmoor? Just stick with the original and better choice, the 6.5 Swede!"

Ha ha.

Seriously I feel exactly that. The article keeps saying "the almost identical Swede" etc, but in reality, the better performing, slightly longer Swede.

Old cartridges do not sell new rifles and new ammo stocks however, so the need to "invent" something lesser and "new".

I HATE the 6.5mm! Havoing a 6.5x53R, a 6.5x54 M-S, a 6.5x65 RWS, and the 6.5x55, The main one I have used is the 55mm. Need to work on the rest. I still lust after a 6.5x68mm and it still smarts Mauser stopped making a M03 barrel in 68mm. Now they have stopped the 65mm as well, but still do a 55mm barrel I think.

Irrespective of which case, the Swedes and other Scandinavians have been using the 6.5mm for Moose for a hundred years. Maybe less so now than in the past. But if it killed moose since 1891, no doubt it still does.

As Daryl says, and no doubt he has more experience than me, with my one and only Norwegian moose, moose do not seem that hard to kill. A big animal, and seem, per hunting stories to succumb relatively well to reasonably placed shots from reasonable calibres.

I actually bought my 6.5x55 in preference to obtaining the usual Aussie choice in those days of a 6mm or .243. The 90 gr to 160 gr projectiles provide a good choice of range of projectiles. And the cartridge is mild and easy to shoot. My old ex-mil M96 shoots incredibly accurate groups on paper.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com