Juglansregia
(.275 member)
12/06/19 11:15 AM
Re: LINSEED OIL GUNSTOCK FINISHING

I thought I'd revive this old thread with some personal findings.

I tried the Rustins product mentioned above. It took a while to adapt to it, as it dries very quickly making it a little more difficult to rub out than I am used to. In the end I was extremely impressed with the finishes obtained so far as looks are concerned, but ultimately the product was a disappointment for me. I found it water-spots badly. Not as bad as CCL, but badly. It can be touched up, but is not an easy finish to do so. For a safe queen it might be OK, but for folk who actually take a gun or rifle out in the rain I can only foresee great angst using this product.

Note, if the Rustins finish gets wet and is wiped down continually, it won't water-spot. If a rain droplet sits on there for say 15-30 mins, it'll often water spot. Continually having to wipe down a stock is just not practical. I tried two cans, two different production batches, same results. I tried the finish on the sides of 4 dozen walnut blanks sanded to 400 grit, and two finished stocks. All watermarked, despite an evolution of finishing techniques with the stuff.

On another note, I found Rustins slightly kills the colours and life in contrasting walnut, but not as badly as some finishes.

You have to be careful......In the past I tried Liberon Superior Danish Oil and found it sometimes blackened with UV exposure. That stuff is not cheap......wound up looking like sump oil. It also tends to darken the wood unduly even if it doesn't turn it a sump oil colour.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com