Ripp
(.577 member)
07/06/19 03:20 AM
Re: Why-I-hate-the- 270 -- by Bryce M. Towsley

Quote:

I lost the first kudu I ever shot while using a 270 win so I don’t exactly love it but I kind of want to. I sold a Weatherby MV Sub MOA in that cartridge because I could not get it to shoot. My Ruger Safari Express was not much better and it’s gone as well.

The 270 Ruger went on my first safari 10 years ago and I had developed a load using 130 Barnes Xs, on the last practice day it gave me serious pressure signs so I bough a box of 160 Core Lokts. They shot ok so got 3 more for the trip.

I hit the kudu at 260m ( on the shoulder as claimed by the PH) shooting uphill and put another one in his rear going straight up, hit him again at 330m (probably a gut shot) one more at 410m (probably low and far back). Could have shot again but the PH told me he was done for, instead of falling over he walked behind a bush and .... .

Obviously bad shooting on my part but by sound and visual indicators the guide, scout and me all thought he was hit 4 times. We tracked him for three miles until dark and never saw him again.

Was it the fault of the 270 Winchester, the bullets, PH or me? Obviously my fault for not prescribing enough off sticks but there are others factors as well.

Now I shoot my 300 Weatherby on pretty much everything in africa except DG. Using 175gr Barnes XLR at 3250fps I know it’s pretty much always my fault.

I agree with you on the 300 part.. have taken my 300RUM on every trip to African with the exception of the last to Cameroon.. only reason I didn't there was the hassle getting in and out of the country .. that caliber with 180gr Swifts at first.. switched to 200Grs on the last 3 trips.. if they don't drop its probably not the gun, bullet or anything else's fault other than me..

Contact Us NitroExpress.com